About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. (2012)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Joe Biden 14, America 11, Us 10, Paul Ryan 8, Piers 7, Obama 6, Libya 3, Massachusetts 3, United States 3, Wade 3, Bill Clinton 3, Starbucks 3, Frank Bruni 3, Clinton 3, Kristen Soltis 3, Unitedhealthcare Insurance Company 2, Pakistan 2, Aarp 2, Chantix 2, Ryan 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business.  (2012)  

    October 10, 2012
    9:00 - 10:00pm PDT  

9:00pm
hoyer $15,000. romney got back to "town & country" and said you are wrong. his $3,000 tag is a $300 nixon watch and we heard back from the president's team he said he had a watch from the secret serv a . on that neat -- note, here is piers morgan. tonight, romney, gaining in poll after poll. by the way, i think paul ryan will do great. >> could joe biden versus paul ryan do well? background america, the administration in the hot seat over the deadly attack in libya. >> it was a terrorist attack. let's be honest about it. >> mitt romney charged with flip-flopping again on abortion.
9:01pm
>> i'll be a pro life president. >> frank bruni, my all-star candidate, going toe to toe. this is "piers morgan tonight." good evening, 27 days to go until the election, look where we stand tonight, on the latest cnn polls, 47% for mitt romney, 47% for president obama. anything could happen in this race, shows you how high the stakes are going into the presidential debate. preparations are under way in danville, kentucky, and joe biden is getting ready for preparations. and paul ryan arrived, and mitt romney on the campaign trail in the battleground state of ohio. >> we have not had the strong leadership we needed in washington to take on our challenge, time and again, the president has told us he'd take on some of these things but has not. and then he turns around and
9:02pm
tries to blame others, congress won't get together, congress won't get together unless there is a strong leadership that puts them together. he has not, i will. >> listen to what he told diane sawyer on abc. >> if you have a bad game, you just move on, move on the the next one. and it makes you that much more determined. the difference between this and sports is, the stakes are so high. >> joining me now, to preview the debate, reince prebus. >> the president looks mean there, looking like he is coming back strong, looks like he had a poor game and flexing his muscles, are you frightened? >> no, he also said today that he thinks he has been too polite. so maybe it means instead of
9:03pm
just calling mitt romney a liar once a day, he will call us that five times a day. i don't know, his message is pretty weak, he doesn't have a lot to stand on, i was a lawyer, it is sort of like going into a closing argument, when you don't have a decent argument on your side, it is tough to pull off. but that is what he is doing, talking about big bird, and calling his opponent, liar, liar, pants on fire, that is the new president obama for 2012. >> you guys certainly have a new confidence, led by governor romney, who is bouncing off the walls. but obviously, you know these things can change very quickly. an interesting moment today, reminding people of two concerns, i would imagine for the campaign, one, mitt romney's reputation as a flip-flopper, and the other, issues coming back to the front, when you least expect them to.
9:04pm
let's listen to mitt romney talking about abortion. >> do you intend to pursue legislation specifically regarding abortion? >> there is no legislation regarding abortion that i'm familiar with that would become part of my agenda. >> now the democrats have seized on this, you can't really blame them, because his position on abortion does change, according to the strength. he was very much in favor of pro choice, governor of massachusetts, now he is in favor of pro life. but he always as a pro lifer said we need to revert to roe v wade, people say he says what suits him, depending on whether he is appealing to the hard right of the party, or as he is now, according to bill clinton, mr. moderate mitt, that we haven't seen it for a few
9:05pm
months. >> well, first of all, i couldn't hear it very well, i assume it is referring to the des moines register. but are there piles of legislation sitting in congress that he is going to point to? the des moines register editorial board? the fact is, he is and has always been committed to being a pro-life president. he is committed to the fact that he will not fund planned parenthood to fund abortions. and committed to not sending foreign aid to countries to fund abortion. he is a pro life president, he is proud of it. and if just think -- i just think many are taking it, referring to one sound bite, piles of legislation, sitting in congress. and it is much ado about nothing, this election is about the economy, the president has not performed. he is chasing every rabbit down the trail to make this thing
9:06pm
about his own record, and the miserable condition of the economy. and that is what we'll talk about. >> but isn't the problem? it comes down to trust, and therefore, we have to trust him, generally. and even his position on abortion in the las 12 months has flip-flopped on abortion. >> it has not, piers. >> it has. >> it has not, piers -- >> let me put the allegations to you, and you can respond. the allegation is that he was saying before i want to repeal roe versus wade, and i want to power to go to the state. and he says now he has no plans regarding abortion. so which is it? >> listen, he is referring to whether or not there is some piles of legislation in congress that he is pursuing in his presidency. he is committed to, and has said it still yet today the fact that we will not be funding abortion
9:07pm
with taxpayer's money, whether it be in his own budget or whether it be in foreign aid. he is a pro life president. he believes that life begins at conception. that people at the point of conception deserves the freedoms as preserved by our constitution. there is nothing consistent. this is a rabbit trail, you want to talk about trust? what about this president? he has not provided a single budget that passed through the congress and my counterpart that you will talk to in a few minutes, in three and a half. this economy is in shambles, you want to talk about trust, a guy in love with the sound of his own voice that can't follow through with a promise, that is president obama, we want to talk about that. >> does it matter, do you think if a politician changes his position on matters? do you see it as an evolution?
9:08pm
>> no, i do hear what you're saying. i do think it is possible that you can learn things about legislation. and you can determine things as you go on through life and through your education and politics, and you can change your mind, yes, i think that that is possible. but what i don't think is possible is for a president to make grandiose promises to carpet the world four years ago, knowing the miserable condition of where we were headed, and saying that he would fix this economy. in three years or less or he would be a one-term proposition, not even coming close to his promises. that is different. and i would say that this president's record is a record of making promises and breaking promes. and that is really his problem, why he can't stand in front of a debate moderator for 90 minutes and make his case in front of the american people. that is his problem, he didn't have a bad night, he had a bad game. he is not capable of bringing a good game if you don't have a
9:09pm
good game to bring. >> okay, reince priebus joining us. >> he says he doesn't have a bad game, he has no game. >> well, it is not really surprising that my counterpart is being critical of president obama, whehe has his own candidate, who as you said has not -- this is an etch a sketch, this is mitt romney deceiving trying to hide the ball. last week on the debate stage, mitt romney decided to deceive the people that he didn't have a five trillion tax cut plan that would increase taxes on the middle class to pay for taxes on the millionaire and millionaires. now he tells the register that he wouldn't make abortion a part of his agenda. i mean, this is the same mitt
9:10pm
romney that said he would be delighted to ban abortions if congress sent it to him. his lead running mate has been the sponsor of many legislations that would totally stop women. mitt romney has been a severely conservative candidate for president. now that he notices that the policies could make sure he does not have is a chance of being elected, he is trying to hide who he is and what he stands for. we won't let him get away with it. >> when it comes to trust, though, we're watching the hearings on the libya attack. and there is no doubt, now, there is an issue on the trust with the white house and the statements that came out from the various ambassadors and so on, what do you make it? what it a scandal? should heads roll? >> well, first of all, piers,
9:11pm
president obama knew ambassador chris stevens, knew him personally and was so appreciative of his work. as president of the united states, that diplomat core works for him. and he nominates those ambassadors. so what we need to do when the united states has been attacked, when the americans have been killed while serving our country, we don't need to have mitt romney and the republicans in congress taking their first instinct, being to take cheap political shots -- >> hold on a minute, because it was not about what mitt romney which was clumsy in its own way, but the suggestion that ambassador rice made statements that were blaming -- this video -- >> piers. >> it must have been known after four or five days that it was much more likely to have been a terrorist attack that it would have been planned. >> piers, i can't even believe
9:12pm
you would suggest that ambassador rice would make misleading statements. at the beginning of this, it was very unclear as to what happened. the main thing was rather than make snap judgments that we take a step back, make sure a full investigation was done. >> let me rephrase it. do you accept that ambassador rice was simply wrong? >> well, i think has more information came out, the initial information that they had was perceived to be that the attack was the result of protests. and as the investigation has worn on, which is the responsible way to deal with it, we have come out and the administration has said well, it is clear that now it was the result of a terrorist attack. but what we don't need to do, and what is irresponsible, is that my republican colleagues in congress have the first instinct they have had, piers, is to jump on the cheap political opportunities that they're using this to be. instead of closing ranks and
9:13pm
saying there has been an attack against americans, americans serving our country have been killed. we need to get to the bottom of this together and make sure that we take steps to prevent this from happening again. this is not a political opportunity. >> if you're the family of those who lost their lives, the americans who lost their lives. >> especially the family of those who lost their lives. >> i think you move on from worrying about what mitt romney said and when he said it, you're much more concerned if there was much security. cle clearly, there was not. and secondly, with all the mass intelligence in the white house that you have, the pentagon and so on, why could you make statements four or five days later, with completely the wrong information for what has provoked this attack? >> piers, because these investigations are complicated and detailed. and rather than say absolutely nothing, rather than not give information to the american people, ambassador rice went out and talked about what they believed to be happening at the
9:14pm
time, with the information on -- from the intelligence community that she had. and as time wore on, as responsibly the investigation revealed more details, they came back and said no, there was a terrorist attack. but it is irresponsible, wrong for my republican colleagues to be jumping on this as a political opportunity -- please, piers, you keep not letting me -- >> you are flogging the wrong dead horse, it is not about what mitt romney did. the really important horse that should be flogged is the behavior and the statements of those who were in a position of responsibility, and we would assume, knowledge. and it is pretty un-american to be putting out completely false statements before you know the facts, isn't it? >> piers, it is not okay for you to be saying that the administration was putting out completely false statements.
9:15pm
they put out information that they had at the time based on the intelligence they were given, and as the days wore on and more -- it doesn't mean it was false. >> what? >> it doesn't mean that it was deliberate. >> now, wait a minute, wait a minute. if you put out a false statement. >> piers. >> then it is false. >> but you're suggesting -- >> piers, you're suggesting it was somehow deliberate. it was not deliberation. what they did, it was important to get information out that they had at the time. and they did that. and as they learned more information they corrected the original information that they put out. but there was nothing sinister here, this was simply the president of the united states making sure that we did a careful investigation, gave the american people the information that they needed at the time, that we had at that time based on our intelligence, and as the intelligence was updated at the time, we gave them the updated information. there is nothing sinister about that. what is terribly unfortunate is
9:16pm
that you do, there is no way around these investigations that the republicans and mitt romney have left to go after the administration, questioning whether or not there was any kind of deliberate attempt to mislead. they're supposed to be closing ranks, working together -- >> it is necessary to make sure the statements are accurate. thank you. >> thank you. >> when we come back, a man not afraid to say what he thinks, frank bruni, i want to get his thoughts and redictionaries, next. [ female announcer ] the best things in life are the real things. nature valley trail mix bars
9:17pm
are made with real ingredients you can see. like whole roasted nuts, chewy granola, and real fruit. nature valley trail mix bars. 100% natural. 100% delicio. just begin with america's favorite soups. bring out chicken broccoli alfredo. or best-ever meatloaf. go to campbellskitchen.com for recipes, plus a valuable coupon. campbell's. it's amazing what soup can do. spending the day with my niece. i don't use super poligrip for hold because my dentures fit well. before those little pieces would get in between my dentures and my gum and it was uncomfortable. even well-fitting dentures let in food particles. super poligrip is zinc free. with just a few dabs, it's clinically proven to seal out more food particles so you're more comfortable and confident while you eat. so it's not about keeping my dentures in, it's about keeping the food particles out. [ charlie ] try zinc free super poligrip. it's called passion. and it's not letting up anytime soon.
9:18pm
at unitedhealthcare insurance company, we understand that commitment. so does aarp, serving americans 50 and over for generations. so it's no surprise millions have chosen an aarp dicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company. like all standardized medicare supplement plans, it helps cover some of what medicare doesn't pay. to find out more, call today.
9:19pm
9:20pm
i need you to go out and find neighbors who voted for president obama to come and join our team. i need you to come out and find people, get them to vote, get them to vote absentee, this is a critical election, ohio could well be the next place that elects the president. it is moderate mitt on a roll, joining me now, frank bruni, welcome. >> thanks. >> the last time we saw each other, who could have thought we would be in this position? >> you know, i think both of us secretly thought president obama was cruising to victim, most of us thought that. >> it has completely transformed. no doubt right now if you were betting big money it would be very hard to know who you would put the money on. >> i think i would still put the money on obama, one of the lessons, the way the polls moved is not necessarily that there won't be a surge going on to election day. it is a lesson in the volatility
9:21pm
of polls, we could be meeting here and have a discussion after the debate. >> although i think the vice presidential debate will be fascinating, and explosive with joe biden, really it is about next week. it is about, can he be less polite, more aggressive, take down mitt romney? if romney was to win that debate comfortably, it would be game over. >> yes, tonight's debate doesn't matter as much, last week's debate made. but a certain kind of element and momentum is forming. and if, say, joe biden had a miserable night and we had a couple of other days about the news stories on what happened to the obama administration, if they lost their mojo or moves, it could be -- one doesn't think -- >> and i like the guy and his style. he could have a brilliant debate. my prediction is, he is going to win. however, he has not done public
9:22pm
interviews for five months. >> he has been keeping a low profile, but he has an advantage, everybody is talking about what a skilled debater ryan is, there are polls out saying he has a much higher approval rating. there is so much pressure on him to beat joe biden, that if joe biden comes out, he kind of wins. >> joe biden became a senator when paul ryan was three years old, i read. isn't that amazing? and let's play a clip from bill clinton, this was from last night. i thought he hit the nail on the head on how the democrats are perceiving the transformation to mitt romney. >> i had a different reaction from the last debate than a lot of other people did. i mean, i thought wow, here is old moderate mitt. where you been, boy? i missed you all of these last two years. >> it is fascinating, i mean
9:23pm
when you watch this row today again over the abortion comments that mitt romney made, if you chart just his history of statements about abortion, flopping all over the place. >> your head could spin like you're in "the exorcist," i mean, bill clinton is having so much fun. the candidates are not -- >> does it help clinton that he is so brilliant? it could almost work against him, people watch him being aggressive, all the things we didn't see from the president in the other night? could it hurt him? >> it could hurt him, as i watched it, i thought about the animation in his voice, his face, barack obama looked like he didn't want to be there. the contrast is not a good one. however, we should not under estimate the fact that president clinton is a hugely popular ex-president and has a lot of
9:24pm
voters behind him. >> and the libya situation, extraordinary comments that debbie wasserman made, it has nothing to do with mitt romney, the white house, how the president dealt with it. it seems not good enough that you can put out whole wrong statements five days after a terror attack. >> yes, i have to take issues with what she said. she said they were not false, the point is, they judged to conclusions, they may not have in the first days put out information that they knew to be false. but they decided to jump to a conclusion that did not kind of criticize or do anything negative to the war on terror and the obama successes, in that gard. and if you jump to a conclusion you don't yet know is true, i am not sure much better that is than lying. >> and if you don't know if it is a terrorist attack, just say that we have been struck by
9:25pm
terror again and will come down hard again, what is wrong with that position? >> there is nothing wrong with that position or them asking the questions in the hearings. the problem is, there is grand standing going on, we have this situation. american lives were lost, we have this situation, what it means in terms of security going forward? we won't get answers, because on the hill, it is so partisan and everybody is just jockeying for positions. >> put your hat on, and tell us? >> i think because the expectation is so heavy that ryan wins, i think biden wins. >> i agree, and romney and the president -- >> i think we'll talk about how good obama was, because nobody, everybody is going to compare it to his last debate. >> i got a feeling that romney could nick it again, which could make things interesting. and what will it take for him to win? we'll debate tonight
9:26pm
"battleground america" coming up next. . to here? at university of phoenix we're moving career planning forward so you can start figuring that out sooner. in fact, by thinking about where you want your education to lead, while you're still in school, you might find the best route leads somewhere you weren't even looking. let's get to work. mike rowe here at a ford tell me fiona, who's having a big tire event? your ford dealer. who has 11 major brands to choose from? your ford dealer. who's offering a rebate? your ford dealer. who has the low price tire guarantee... affording peace of mind to anyone who might be in the market for a new set of res? your ford dealer. i'm beginning to sense a pattern. buy four select tires, get a $60 rebate. use the ford service credit credit card, get $60 more. that's up to $120. where did you get that sweater vest? your ford dealer. sven's home security gets the most rewards
9:27pm
of any small business credit card! how does this thing work? oh, i like it! [ garth ] sven's small business earns 2% cash back on every purchase, every day! woo-hoo!!! so that's ten security gators, right? put them on my spark card! why settle for less? testing hot tar... great businesses deserve the most rewards! [ male announcer ] the spark business card from capital one. choose unlimited rewards with 2% cash back or double miles on every purchase, every day! what's in your wallet? here's your invoice. bp has paid overthe people of bp twenty-threeitment to the gulf. billion dollars to help those affected and to cover cleanup costs. today, the beaches and gulf are open, and many areas are reporting their best tourism seasons in years. and bp's also committed to america. we support nearly 250,000 jobs and invest more here than anywhere else. we're working to fuel america for generations to come. our commitment has never been stronger.
9:28pm
[ female announcer ] some people like to pretend a flood could never happen to them. and that their homeowners insurance protects them. [ thunder crashes ] it doesn't. stop pretending. only flood insurance covers floods. ♪ visit floodsmart.gov/pretend to learn your risk.
9:29pm
. president obama is taking on mitt romney tonight, accusing him of flip-flopping on key
9:30pm
issues welcome to you both. before we go anywhere, i want to play this attack regarding the comments on abortion. >> this is another example of governor romney hiding positions heas been campaigning on for a year and a half. >> is it a lie? >> i mean, governor romney has made it very clear that if a bill comes to his desk that overturns roe versus wade, he will sign it. and he has said he will overturn roe versus wade. and now four weeks before the election, he is trying to cloud the election. >> he has performed more flip-flops on abortion than almost any politician ever. >> i don't think this is a flip-flop, you can be pro life, but also say we have to turn
9:31pm
this economy around first. mitt romney has been running on this five-point plan to save the economy, and it has things like we're going to fix trade -- >> yes, yes, yes, but hang on, yes, but the reason that he is the nominee, is because he battled in the nominee race, i remember, i was covering it at the time. day after day, and one of the main stronger arguments he had was on his social conservativism. he suddenly hardened his position, he ws absolutely against gay marriage, against all abortions, and so on. now, suddenly, we have, as president clinton said today, moderate mitt, the guy we remember from massachusetts, who is it? >> it is not that he changed a position, there is a difference that if a bill came to my desk and signed it. or i would go to congress to fight for a bill. there is a difference, he is pro life, but that is not a piece of legislation, he says he has in his mind.
9:32pm
>> okay, charles blow, he certainly had it in his mind earlier because that was when he appealed to the tea party and the hard right of the tea party to make him the nominee. now he has a real chance of winning, suddenly we're seeing a much more moderate mitt romney in all of these areas, much less threatening you might say to a wider group. >> right, i think this is an intentional playing with language. and i think the president is absolutely right when he says that he is intentionally trying to cloud this issue. and i think that is actually a dangerous thing. but i think the american people have to actually step up and say i don't want this type of a leader. i don't want somebody who says one thing one day, and another thing another day. and i even argue with the idea of calling it a flip-flop. because he doesn't seem to have flip-flopped, he basically has the same position, he is just saying one thing one day, and another on don't day.
9:33pm
flip-flopping, is you have changed your mind. there is no indication that mitt romney has changed his mind about anything. >> well, when he was governor of massachusetts, he was pro choice. now, he is pro life. >> that was a flip-flop, this latest incarnation is not the same as changing one's mind. in fact, you had reince priebus on tonight, saying he would be a pro life president. he basically ticked off the entire things that mitt romney said in the primaries. so there was no latest thing that he has in fact changed his mind. he is just basically pitching a softer mitt to the cameras, for the middle, the swing voters, trying to pick up more women, going into the home stretch. >> and of course, the difficulty is that it brings women's issues right to the fore again when he
9:34pm
least wants them to. because he was doing very well, not talking about gay rights and abortion, suddenly he is on the back foot again, having to deal with it. >> in the entire democratic convention, they were bringing this issue up and up and over again, and what did we come back to again? the economy, that is what this election is about, what it is going to be on november the 6th. the attempts to try to put it on the other issues, it is not coming from the romney campaign but sort of everywhere else that wants to talk about anything but the economy. i think romney is going to talk about the economy, no matter what everybody else wants him to talk about? >> you don't think abortion is an important issue? >> no, no, i think that the economy is the most important thing, as long as he has a plan, i think the women voters who make up the majority of the electora electorate, the women make up the majority of the voters, that
9:35pm
is what they want and what they care about. >> okay, when we come back we'll talk about the vp vote, is joe biden going to swing to the left like tarzan, or will it all go horribly wrong? what shape thats .. but it's not round. so why would headphones be round? they should be shaped like this.. 'earshaped'. you know .. so they fit in your ears. when the doctor told me that i could smoke for the first week... i'm like...yeah, ok... little did i know that one week later i wasn't smoking. [ male announcer ] along with support, chantix is proven to help people quit smoking. it reduces the urge to smoke. some people had changes in behavior, thinking or mood, hostility, agitation, depressed mood and suicidal thoughts or actions
9:36pm
while taking or after stopping chantix. if you notice any of these stop taking chantix and call your doctor right away. tell your doctor about any history of depression or other mental health problems, which could get worse while taking chantix. don't take chantix if you've had a serious allergic or skin reaction to it. if you develop these stop taking chantix and see your doctor right away as some can be life-threatening. if you have a history of heart or blood vessel problems, tell your doctor if you have new or worse symptoms. get medical help right away if you have symptoms of a heart attack. use cautn when driving or operating machinery. common side effects include nausea, trouble sleeping and unusual dreams. it helps to have people around you... they say, you're much bigger than this. and you are. [ male announcer ] ask your doctor if chantix is right for you.
9:37pm
i'm an expert on softball. and tea parties. i'll have more awkward conversations than i'm equipped for because i'm raising two girls on my own. i'll worry about the economy more than a few times before they're grown. but it's for them, so i've found a way. who matters most to you says the most about you. massmutual is owned by our policyholders so they matter most to us. massmutual. we'll help you get there.
9:38pm
9:39pm
. >> tell them about the millions of jobs obama has created, and the kids, tell them about the millions of lives that will be changed. tell him thousand obama ended the war in iraq. tell them how together, we took out osama bin laden. >> that is obama's top campaigner, the first lady in colorado today, making the case for her husband. back now, charles blow and kristen soltis. i mean, i get the feeling that after barack obama got home after the debate the other night, i imagine a few doors got slammed. what the heck were you doing obama? >> i am not going to speculate.
9:40pm
>> i reckon it was the spare room for the president. >> but i do believe she is a very strong advocate for the president. i believe that he is now understanding the depths to which that debate performance hurt him, and actually hurt people that were for him. i think they are trying to re-calibrate. the other thing i think they're trying to do is stop a little bit of some of the democratic panic. that some people on the left are looking at this and thinking they see a surge by mitt romney. they saw the performance, there is not another debate until tomorrow. the president doesn't debate until next week. what is going to stop the polls from moving? >> i agree with you, i think andrew sullivan, the accent is ridiculous, part of the blogs, it is the end of the world as we know it. it is all over, we're all
9:41pm
doomed. come on, kristen soltis, how important is the vice president debate? if joe biden eats paul ryan for dinner is that going to change things dramatically? or is everybody really waiting for the next one? >> i don't think that paul ryan is on the menu -- >> oh, he is on the menu, don't worry about that. >> oh, i expect that vp joe biden will be very aggressive, an interesting test driver for the sorts of arguments and strategy althouthat you might se out of obama in the next week and next debate. if joe biden does well, i think you will see barack obama do well, and if it goes badly, i think people will say oh, that is just joe biden, he makes gaffes, i think it is very important for both candidates for many reasons, for ryan, it is really important because he still has to introduce himself to the american people.
9:42pm
he is really going to get asked a lot of questions about his ideas. he has always been a bold guy putti putting ideas, out there. they will have to defend their positions. >> i think joe biden is a very experienced campaigner. he likes to get his gloves on and go for it. and paul ryan could be in trouble, cornered by a raging bull. >> i think that is true, this is also a different moderator from the last debate. this idea that paul ryan says it is a little too wonky for you, the numbers are too hard, don't worry your pretty little head, just trust me. that is not going to fly in every situation, and particularly not in a debate where you have an aggressive debater like joe biden. and you have a different moderator that won't let you slide. >> but it matter -- i watched him the other night and said come on, you have to get in
9:43pm
there. the time has changed. >> otherwise, you can just let them draw uno cards, you do have to say. and i'm sure, he is a great guy has done his home work obviously. if somebody says something that obviously contradicts, something you can say, however, you say that was said the other day, how does it square tonight? >> if anybody is watching i can imagine -- i would absolutely love it, only thing -- i would love to do it. anyway, charles blow, kristen soltis, thank you both very much. come back and see us. up next, what voters care about the economy. let's discuss that after the break. drug and alcohol abuse is up. and those dealing with grief don't have access to the professional help they need. when you see these issues, do you want to walk away or step up? with a degree in the field of counseling or psychology from
9:44pm
capella university, you'll have the knowledge to make a difference in the lives of others. let's get started at capella.edu try this... bayer? this isn't just a headache. trust me, this is new bayer migraine. [ male announcer ] it's the power of aspirin plus more in a triple action formula to relieve your tough migraines. new bayer migraine formula.
9:45pm
in a triple action formula to relieve your tough migraines. there's the sign to the bullpen. here he comes. you wouldn't want your doctor doing your job, the pitch! whoa! so why are you doing his? only your doctor can determine if your persistent heartburn is actually something more serious like acid reflux disease. over time, stomach acid can damage the lining of your esophagus. for many, prescription nexium not only provides 24-hour heartburn relief, but can also help heal acid-related erosions in the lining of your esophagus. talk to your doctor about the risk for osteoporosis-related bone fractures and low magnesium levels with long-term use of nexium. possible side effects include headache, diarrhea, and abdominal pain. other serious stomach conditions may still exist. let your doctor do his job. and you do yours. ask if nexium is right for you. if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help.
9:46pm
9:47pm
with the economy front and center, president obama and governor romney are each making the case that they can create jobs and get people working again. as we know, it is easier said than done, laura tyson, of the henry jackson initiative, laura is also a member of president obama's council on jobs. welcome to you both, ladies. you apparently have the answer to all of our economic and jobs
9:48pm
woes in america. linn, tell me what this initiative is about. >> well, it is bipartisan, trans-atlantic, and private. so we are outside of the political realm, dealing with what we think is an important situation in america, where the american dream defined as work hard, play by the rules and anything is possible, is kind of in a little bit of ill repute, a bit. larry katz at harvard has a metaphor, for it, saying that america was like the beautiful apartment block years ago, everybody loved it. the beautiful apartment block. now in the apartment block you have the great, beautiful rich, the people up above. the middle floors that are cramped. the lower floors, water-soaked. and the elevator is broken.
9:49pm
>> so laura, how do we get the elevator working again? >> well, we focused on areas where we think the business community can really get involved. so this is really a private sector, what can the business community do to start what we call an ininclusive capitalism, the model that is the best model for growth, and poverty reduction. and history shows that. but we have to look for ways to deal with the increasing ine quality, there is a lot going on in the business community, for example, developing more entrepreneurships. and working with colleges to design the apprenticeships, working with jobs, to get more engineers in the united states. a lot of unfilled jobs are i.t.
9:50pm
sha , engineering, science. >> take a company like apple, hugely successful, america's most successful company of all time, employing 90% of the work overseas. and not starbucks -- starbucks and others opening factories, he believes he has a moral duty to open them in the united states, should more business leaders be doing this? >> well, yes, i think of course we need to do that. but of course, there are three million jobs out there that can't be filled because of what laura is saying. and that is really true of apple. because we don't have enough technicians or engineers. so that is part of the problem. we need to start educating people for the jobs that are there. and for the jobs that will be most competitive here. not forcing people to not go abroad, but to come to america
9:51pm
where we have the best skilled people. >> that -- >> but yours is a bipartisan organization? >> absolutely, right. >> but which of the two leaders right now, pound for pound, dollar for dollar, gives the best chance of fulfilling what you would like to see? >> i really think we have laid the question down to ourselves of, we're asking what the business community will do? and we're not talking about tax policy or macro policy, or regulatory policy. we're saying what can the business do with capitalism? i agree with your assertion that companies, uk companies are in this, as well, there are companies saying to themselves what can i do to create more jobs in my home country? and once you pose the question that way, that is what gets you started in things like
9:52pm
apprenticeship programs. >> why do they have to be posed that way, the government starting companies and making them more competitive. what will it take for us to do to bring your factories back here? >> so the good news in the united states right now is, if you look longer term, the u.s. has become a more competitive place to do business. the dollar in real inflation-adjusted terms has come down. our energy price environment, because we have had this amazing gas revolution is a much more favorable environment. we have had high productivity growth over a long period of time. so actually there is some now re-shoring going on. companies like ge are actually out there bringing back at the margin jobs they had shifted abroad to come here. that is the first -- >> you mentioned ge -- well -- the tweet got him into all sorts of trouble, challenging these unbelievable job numbers. these chicago guys will do
9:53pm
anything. >> that is jack welch. i think what laura is saying is so so important that we have an opportunity in the business community regardless of what happens in the election had. and actually, what we're talking about, republicans and democrats coming together to say it is not about politics. it is about we have a fiscal cliff coming. we have 25% unemployment among the young. this is not republican or democratic, this is not capitalists or occupy wall street. this is a problem for all of us. and what we do with the henry jackson initiative is we showcase companies like ibm, like starbucks, like -- >> at&t, ge, there is a whole list of them that we have actually -- in the report and on the website, we basically highlight real examples of what companies are doing. and part of the initiative is to get companies talking to one another about what they are doing, what works, what does not work. then you can actually get groups of companies working together in
9:54pm
clusters. one of the things discussed in the report is a minnesota group of civic leaders, business leaders, working in a regional development effort to improv competitiveness. so there is a lot that can be done, once you pose the problem. the problem is -- >> well, you posed it right now to millions of people watching this. it's time america's big business, the successful ones, got together, did what you guys did, talk to each other, get stuff done, get america back on track. thank you both. >> thank you, absolutely. coming up, the taliban targets a 14-year-old pakistani girl who refuses to back down to their threats. no, no, no, stop! humans -- one day, we're coming up with the theory of relativity, the next... stop, stop, stop! my car! not so much. but that's okay. you're covered with great ideas like optional better car replacement from liberty mutual insurance. total your car, and we give you the money to buy one
9:55pm
a model year newer. learn about it at libertymutual.com. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility -- what's your policy? after you jumped buship in bangkok,n. i thought i'd lost you. surfing is my life now. but who's going to .... tell the world that priceline has even faster, easier ways to save you money. . . on hotels, flights & cars? you still have it. i'll always have it. so this is it? we'll see where the waves take me. sayonara, brah! a body at rest tends to stay at rest... while a body in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion.
9:56pm
because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. celebrex can be taken with or without food. and it's not a narcotic. you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen, and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high blood pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods. nsaids, including celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. do not take celebrex if you've had an asthma attack, hives, or other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat,
9:57pm
or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion.
9:58pm
. for tonight, the power of one, of all the terrible acts committed by taliban in afghanistan and pakistan, if anything has quite exceeded their attempts to murder the 14-year-old girl. speaking out against the brutality, malala yousufzai, they tried to kill, showing amazing courage, and eloquent
9:59pm
moves, last year she won pakistan's national peace award. listen to what she told cnn in 2011. >> i have rights, i have the right to education, i have the right to play, the right to sing, the right to talk, the right to go to market. the right to speak up. >> yesterday, militants stopped the van carrying malala yousufzai, they asked who she was, and they opened fire when they found out who she was. she was shot, expected to survive, taken out of the country for treatment. nobody knows the damage she has suffered. meanwhile, a taliban spokesperson took pride in the attack, and said if she survives this time, remember, she won't next time. remember this, if anybody asks questions about what right the americans had to take on the people. it is not right,